[Advaita-l] Knowledge, renunciation and varNASrama rules

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Aug 18 01:19:47 CDT 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Venkatesh Murthy wrote:

> Request you see this example to see why it is wrong both Brahmins and
> nondvijas get Brahmavidya equally
>
> A is Brahmin does nitya karma gets Citta Suddhi takes Sanyasa and get
> Brahmavidya. He has lot of rules and regulations what to eat and
> drink. He has to follow all rules throughout. eat veg food and no
> drinks even in Sanyasa.
>
> B is nondvija has no rules and regulations eat everything drink
> everything any time no Nitya Karma because he has no Upanayana no
> Citta Suddhi. No Sanyasa. Stay at home with wife. But he can hear
> Purana and Gita lectures and get Brahmavidya.

I'm assuming in your example that B on receiving Brahmavidya leaves his
home and family right?  Otherwise he is not any kind of sannyasi and the
question is moot.

> This is not correct. Kindly explain if you think it iscorrect.

One Brahmana is wealthy.  When he takes sannyasa, he gives away his
fortune of a million dollars.  Another Brahmana lives on bhiksha.  When he
takes sannyasa, he gives away his fortune of ten dollars.  Is one more of
a sannyasi than the other?