[Advaita-l] The Treatment of Avidya in Advaita - Part 1

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 28 11:16:34 CDT 2010

> Should we review the use of our words if we communicate on Advaita in English.

I have long held that when using the English language here, we need to be very
careful and not delude ourselves that we understand something quite well. Not
only the words used, even their conventional English spelling can be misleading.
For example, English usage of the Roman script allows us to write Self as opposed
to self, an ability that is non-existent for any Indian script used for Sanskrit or
even in spoken language. It is easy to think that just because we write Self when
communicating about advaita, we have understood everything, when the actual
situation is quite different! What then, to speak of words that mean different
things to different people!

Regards,

Vidyasankar