[Advaita-l] The Treatment of Avidya in Advaita - Part 1

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Apr 27 05:51:58 CDT 2010

He concludes adhyAsa bhAshya thus - "asyAnarthahetoH prahANAya atmaikatva
vidyA pratipattaye sarve vedAnta Arabhyante| yathA cAyamarthaH sarveSAm
vedAntAnAm tathA vayamasyAm sArirakamImAmsAyAm pradarshayiShAmaH |" This
blunder (mutual super imposition of Atma-anAtma) is the cause of all world
delusion. All upanishads begin to destroy this ignorance completely and
teach self knowledge. We will proceed to show how this is understood to be
the central teaching of all upanishads through this sArirakamImAmsa.
[Translation is mine]

This is indeed the context of bandha and moksha.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I like the way you argue for each & everything with such an enthu :-))

See prabhuji, here context is 'avidyA' and its usage in prasthAna trayi
bhAshya as 'adhyAsa'.  Please note this is NOT the context of bandha &
mOksha & it is not the discussion about 'what needs for liberation'...When
you are analysing the cause for 'bandha' you can not quote a sentence that
is talking about 'mOksha' :-)) Yes, there is a mention of self knowledge
in the above bhAshya vAkya but what shankara contextually explaining here
is which is that 'anarthahetu'...and sAvitri mAtAji quoted above bhAshya
vAkya to show you mutual superimposition (anyOnyAdhyAsa / adhyAsa) is the
main cause for our bandha and the term avidyA mainly used in prasthAna
trayi bhAshya as adhyAsa only, that is what she is arguing with you..is it
not??  ...For this you have come out with a quote & said "No, for
liberation mAndUkya is enough " :-))  See, how absurd & out of context
your quote is!!!  Like this you have quoted somany bhAshyA vAkya-s out of
context to prove avidyA= mAyA...If time permits I shall take all those
bhAshya vAkya-s in detail to prove how those quotes are hardly near to
your contention i.e. avidyA=mAya.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar