[Advaita-l] A study of a chapter of the book `BhAmatI-samAlochanam'.

Venkata Subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 00:02:59 CDT 2010

Well I dont think the Holenarsipuram Swamigal presents that there is no Jivan Mukta.

To a Jnani, once the paramartha is realised he understands His true nature that is ever present and ever the same (if the word ever has any sense here); and that Jnani, while his body continues in the world is perceived by others in vyavahara as "living".  Both these are present in the same person, and this is what is "Jivan Mukti"; He is a mukta and at the same time Jivathi api.  This does not imply any "avidya lesha" in him.....The point of difference discussed here is whether Avidya lesha is a concommitant in a Jivan Mukta; not that there is no Jivan Mukta concept in the commentaries as understood by the Holenarsipur tradition.

What the revered Commentator points out as his experience while the body continues; we find very similar expressions in Ramana maharishi as well; In fact Ramana's words are clearer.

So there is nothing starlting in a Holenarsipur tradition vidwan writing about jivan muktas.  In fact the Holenarsipur tradition does not have any prejudice like the self officiating treasury benches who require their self claimed baptism to be honoured by them before they accept some one as "within" their order.

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat.

Sadgurubhyo Namah.