[Advaita-l] A study of a chapter of the book `BhAmatI-samAlochanam'.

Venkata Subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 03:04:58 CDT 2010

As I understand from even your own quotation of the Bhashya in the PDF file, the Jiva is NEVER ever i bondage; the very understanding that I am bound is a misapprehension.  That is why the Holenarsipur Swamigal, following the footsteps of the Revered Commentator, holds that this mis-apprehension is a facility assumed for explanation purpose, by Tradition and is what called "Adhyasa" or "Avidya" or "Ajnana" or "Jnana Abhava" all these terms used by the Revered Commentator himself as synonyms.

When Avidya itself is thus a facility for explantion and understanding, there cannot be another "Avidya Lesha"; the term never occuring in the Bhashya genuinely attributed to the Revered Commentator so far.   What is a harmless "Samskara" for the Revered Commentator, cannot solidify into something so much is our point of view.

Your example is not appropriate as we contend there has been no marriage at all, so the question of asking whether he is son in law or daughter's husband does not arise.

Subrahmanian - why dont you patiently shut the doors for a while and read the Swamiji's original work - Mulavidya Nirasa for a while yourself.  You seem to be comfortable in Sanskrit language and the book is itself now available after re-print.    In fact his chapter 2 is the analysis of all Vivarana, chitsuki, Samkshepa shariraka, sidhanta lesha sangraha etc. and then in Chapter 3 he gives his views.  The book is clear and holds in its own merit.  I am afraid I dont have the required traditional learning on this subject to answer you effectively, but I can understand within myself whenever I read your articles that you are not telling something new which that Swamigal has not analysed.

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat.

Sadgurubhyo Namah.