[Advaita-l] Some questions on 'khyAti vAda-s' - Theories of/on Error

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 13:07:56 CDT 2010

Namaste Anand ji,

Thank you for a brief and informative presentation.

This position of the Madhva system:

//JayatIrtha clarifies, in his PramANa paddhati, that  what is meant is
atyanta asat, a completely false entity , "atyanta-asadrajatAtmanA
pratibhAtItyAchAryAH" . //

and the refuting reason given by the BhAShyaratnaprabha:

 // If it is shUnya or void or asat (as claimed by the mAdhyamika school or
the mAdhva school), then it is not possible for it (silver) to be perceived.
//

seems reasonable.  How can one 'recognize' or 'cognize' even in a
bhrama-sthala an atyanta asat (vandhyAputra, hare's horn, etc) ?  For, to
recognize something now, I must have seen it before and have formed a smriti
in me.  But with reference to such atyanta asat vastu-s, we have not seen
them in our non-bhrama states and therefore no smriti of such a thing is
available in our mind.  Such being the case, how is it possible to get the
cognition: 'this is that?' about a shUnya, atyanta asat padArtha? . I can
see a (false) man in a distant pillar, but I can never see a vandhyaputra in
that pillar as  adhyasta.  I cannot even imagine, in a manoratha, a
vandhyAputra playing cricket with me.  The moment I visualize a boy of 18,
tall, dressed in whites, etc. I am imagining only a normal man, not a
vandhyAputra.  It is impossible to have any kalpana with regard to an
atyanta asat vastu.

Best regards,
subrahmanian.v