[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Oct 27 00:42:11 CDT 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Shrisha Rao wrote:

> We tend to forget that there are actually said to be scriptural
> injunctions behind all the rules that tradition is supposed to follow;
> we merely pick whatever real-world community we consider our own and
> consider its practices as normative, but this is not strictly correct
> though शिष्टाचार does have a role.

This is the yawning chasm between Advaitins and other Vedantins.  We
believe that there is a finite limit to the authority of vidhis
(scriptural injunctions.)  They only apply to that which can be acquired
or lost.  Brahman cannot be acquired or lost it simply is.  Therefore
there can be no injunctions concerning Brahman.  Should jnana -- the complete
knowlege of ones identity with Brahman -- arise (and it can arise in any
sentient being who posesses chetana, viveka, etc. whether they be
Brahmana, Shudra, foreigner, devata, AI-powered robot or alien), vairagya
inevitably results.  At that point the knower of Brahman takes to sannyasa
not because it is a sanctioned behavior but because it is the only thing
that makes sense in his situation.

Certain paramparas may have their stipulations for who can take their
brand of sannyasa but the core "act" of sannyasa -- renunciation of
samsara -- is possible for any jnani whether anyone else formally
recognizes it or not.

On the subject of tradition, the area around Junaghadh in Gujarat is the
Pauranic Vastrapatha Kshetra.  It is a major stopping point on the
pan-Indian yatra circuit for those sadhus who zealously follow the vow of
not staying in one place for more than three days.  All the Dashanami
akhadas have mathas in the area.  In other words it is area infused with
Advaita monastic orthodoxy.  If the case of Swami Narmada Giri was an
anomaly or an innovation, this is the last place you would expect to find
it.