[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 25 09:01:39 CDT 2009

> Quote: "...Whether a non-brAhmaNa can become a saMnyAsin..."
>
> My answer is, there is no scriptural sanction for non-brahmin to don ochre
> robe for such permission would have then given a valid reason as to their

Sorry, that is where you are dead wrong. That there is scriptural sanction for
all dvija-s to enter the traditional saMnyAsASrama is affirmed by sureSvara in
his vArttika on the bRhadAraNyaka. As you know, dvija includes all those who
have the upanayana saMskAra.

> purushartha.  However non-Brahmins set up Mutts and become inmates most of
> them aagama based rarely Vedantic.  They are as good as buddhist sanghams

There are only four purushArthas for all human beings. Of these, moksha is no
exclusive property of any varNa. What do you mean by vedAntic purushArthas
in the plural? Or are you redefining the word purushArtha?

> Vedaantic purushaarthas are clearly valid only for the Brahmins and who can
> deny that it has scriptural sanction.  Others have other purusharthas and
> that is how their guna-karmas are divined.
>
> Aren't we going back in circle again and again?

No, we are each staying exactly where we are.

Vidyasankar