[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Oct 23 05:18:10 CDT 2009

... and still think that I'm not wasting my time here because I understand
that without perfecting sAdhana
cAtushTaya, I can't be a mumukshu and way far from adhikAri of saMnyAsa.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

And after perfecting sAdhana chatushtaya, shankara asks us to do brahma
jignAnsa (for example shankara's commentary on the word 'atha' in the
first sUtra)..
And in that sAdhana chatushtaya, two sAdhana-s are. : ihAmutra phala bhOga
virAga' & shama damAdi shatsaMpatti  which are to be perfected before
brahma jignAsa...If it all these two sAdhana-s relate to saNyAsa ( because
saNyAsi-s are advised to do shama damAdi sAdhana & ofcourse vairAgya) then
before becoming the 'mumukshu',  sanyAsa is recommended at the stage of
sAdhana chatushtaya itself  is it not??  So, can we say before talking
about brahma jignAsa, the aspirant should first take vividisha saNyAsa
during the practice of sAdhana chatushtaya??  ..Kindly clarify your stand
on this.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar