[Advaita-l] waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 05:33:28 CDT 2009

Hari Om, Michaelji,

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Michael Shepherd <
michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Thank you. I know that 'sleep cycles' are calculated to last 90-120
> minutes,
> which may be significant; as dreaming occurs then.

If you meant all three by sleep cycles (waking, dream and deep sleep), then
yes, it was something like that in the artlcle. However, I remember it to be
much
lesser steps of minutes before the state changes in a cycle. And this
happens even during the day as the author claimed.

> Also it's said that the mind returns to atman between each thought and each
> desire.

Well, its not so much so that the mind returns to Atman, but mind being a
bunch of thoughts, what exists between thoughts for whatever small fraction
of time is the Atman without the add-ons. At least thats how Tripura Rahasya
brings it out.

 Ta,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */