[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Oct 19 00:10:00 CDT 2009

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Sunil Bhattacharjya wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> We have arrived at a critical position.  Can I put the problem as
> follows. Of course, I request the Vedantic scholars to say if I have put
> the problem properly. It is as follows:
>
> The Parivrajaka alone gives up fire and thus he gives up the Vedic
> rituals and this means he gives up the mortal world and does not aim for
> the Swarga either and his only aim is the Moksha.

A clarification here.  The shastras always talk about renouncing the fire
because agnihotra is the archetype of karmas.  But everything concerning
agnihotra is applicable mutatis mutandis to sandhya, or working in a
factory, or any other type of action.

> In other words he rejects both this mortal and the heaven but seeks that
> which pervades both, ie. the Brahman.

He rejects more than heaven but all purposeful goals (of which attaining
heaven is the archetype.)

> It seems Lord  Buddha got an inspiration for his
> middle path from such a stand of Baudhayana.

The Buddhists want extinction.  They do not want liberation like Astikas
because they do not believe there is any state to be liberated to.

> If this is so then can any
> of the other three ashramas, who performs the Vedic rituals through
> fire, transcend Swarga  and get Moksha.

Once again let me stress that any intentional action is an impediment to
moksha not just "Vedic rituals."

> As regards Janaka, it may then be considered as an exception to the
> above position.

Public figures like Janaka may continue to appear to practice karma as an
example to others.  Furthermore an emperor with a vast number of
ministers, soldiers, and servants at his disposal might not actually have
that much "work" to do.