[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (wasRe:Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 17 19:27:15 CDT 2009

Dear friends,

What Ramana Maharshi said is in fact, the way of Tantra. Indulge in the act of the senses not for yourself (ie. not for selfish pleasure or in another word not as a seeker of pleasure in the senses) but for pleasing the gods, who represent the senses, to the extent or the way the gods desire. The aim is to please the senses as apart from oneself. Lord Krishna said the Bhagavad Gita about the need to please the gods and these, according to tantric interpretation, are the sense gods. Even in bhoga it is not for seeking pleasure for oneself. That way the Samadristi can come with the self- while being involved in the world of senses. This is a way alternative to Sannyasha, though difficult. Even a sannyashi may fail and such is the world of the senses. It is said that when Adi Sankaracharya did the Parakaya pravesh he assured his disciples that he would return  but later on he forgot to return. Luckily for him it was Padmapada , who had to refresh his
 memory to return to the Sannyasha. However Tantra is said to give fast results. Samayachara way of Tantra best suits a sannyashi.

Our scriptures have given all the different ways. There are the suktas of the Mother Goddesses. It is said that Gaudapadacharya's commentary on Nrsimhatapaniya was with Samayachara Tantra in mind. Even the Bandhas of the Hatha yoga are mentioned in Vedanta (See Varaha Upanishad). Kundalini is mentioned in Veda. Lord Krishna supplemented his Bhagavad Gita with the Uttara Gita, where he talks about Sushumna etc. thus treating the Kundalini yoga. We are fortunate to have all the ways to enable us to arrive at the truth, which is one.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya