[Advaita-l] Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna (was Re: Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 5)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 18:20:44 CDT 2009

Dear Shyamji,

I acknowledge your great scholarship but I have seen that in the maze of different interpretations  and in the midst of rigorous argumentations sometimes big scholars overlook the simple concepts. While I value the Bhashyas by the Mahatmas (personally I prefer Adi Sankara's  and Sreedhara's bhashyas though I read those of Madhusudana, Ramanuja, Abhinavagupta and others) there is no real substitute for reading the Bhagavada Gita as told by the Lord himself, in not too tough a language. Sometimes all of us need to leave everything aside and also leave the interpretations of the other Mahatma's and then to read the Bhagavad gita and try to unnderstand what the Lord says to us directly. He did not use too many words to tell us what Niskama Karma is and why he (I think nobody can be more Jnani than Him) works even if it is not necessary for Him  to do work.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya