[Advaita-l] Jivanmukti - Jnana plus Sannyasa pt 4

Shyam shyam_md at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 11:40:21 CDT 2009

Dear Shri Michael-ji
Pranams.
I am not sure but I guess this is in reference to my quoting the Bhagwad Gita bhashya "atah Bhagwaan EVA teshaam yogakshemam vahatiti"

Let me clarify.

When one surrenders in toto to the Lord, the Lord ALONE ensures the sustenance of that individual. In fact such is always the case anyways except we, as ignoramuses, like to perennially misappropriate the onus of such responsibility onto ourselves. So quite contrary to the idea of the Lord "leaving the sannyasi to chance", if anything Lord, as the Order, will very much ensure that such a sannyasi's welfare and security is safeguarded - such is Bhagwan Krishna's assurance in the Gita.

As an example lets take two cases - Case 1 - of a speleologist who explores caves all year long as a hobby, and he wears protective boots and clothing, has a flashlight, packs plenty of food and water, perhaps stocks up on essential safety and medicine kits and even antivenom, is on the watchout for dangerous snakes and scorpions, and is armed for the same, etc and Case 2 - of a Maharishi Ramana, who surrenders his most innate Ego at the feet of the Lord Arunachala and inhabits a cave, unmindful of every other blessed thing in the world, engaged constantly in absorption in the Self.

Which of these do you think is more assured of safety and sustenance? :)

Hari OM
Shyam