[Advaita-l] A Perspective - 7

Suresh Marur suresh.marur at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 05:43:31 CST 2009

I agree with Michael on  the benefits of understanding the dream state.
However, IMO, we should avoid analysing the dream itself because it gets us
caught up in another form of cause-effect analysis not very different from
the urge to understand the world (which is a never ending cycle).

The aspect of dream that helps us in contemplation when we are awake is the
ability to intuit the vikshepa shakti of Maya. Otherwise, there is no
equivalent for us to comprehend that a world can be "created" from nothing.
We get the ability to comprehend that the material world we percieve is part
of Ishwara's dream (including our koshas). While Ishwara himself is not
conditioned by avidya, the jiva is conditioned by avidya and caught up in
samsaara.

Were it not for our experience of the dream, there would be no reference for
us to understand this.

To that extent, it may have been part of Ishwara's grace that he endowed us
with this capability. Of course, I am now speculating and will stop here.

- Suresh