[Advaita-l] A perspective-3

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Nov 3 04:10:32 CST 2009

We cannot make any sweeping statements that it is not possible for
gRihastas to realize and we do not have janakaas in today’s world.  It
depends on the individual’s desire or goal in life and commitment to it.
Since his obligations are less, it is easier for a sanyaasin to develop a
mind free from psychological attachments, compared to a gRihastha. A
sanyaasin can get attached to his own koupiinam or lion cloth; as someone
jokingly said, there is no problem if
 koupiinam is attached to him but problem comes if he is attached to his
koupiinam.  In essence, attachments and aversions or raaga and dvesha can
arise in any aashrama. What is to be strived for is chitta suddhi – or
purity of the mind free from these attachments and aversions.

praNAms Sri Sadananda prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Thanks a lot for sharing this wisdom with all of us.  Now I've realized
there is a lot of difference between 'AchArya vANi' and crying of an
amateur philosopher :-))  When I tried to convey the same point in my 'own
style', I had to bear all sorts of commotion from all corners :-))  A
diplomatic way of communication would really do wonders!! :-))

By the way, IMO, you have not  touched one important topic here, i.e. THE
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SELF REALIZATION AND JEEVAN MUKTI...As you might have
seen in the recent thread, it has been argued  that one can attain brahma
jnAna in any ashrama but to 'gain' jeevan mukti one has to invariably
'embrace' saNyAsa (this sanyAsa is not want you intended as mental
renunciation BUT A FORMAL SANYAASA).

And finally, what your goodself explained in the mail pertains to 'karma
phala tyAga' with ahaMkAra & mamakAra tyAga...But story does not end
there, shankara at various places without any ambiguity insists on 'sarva
karma saNyAsa' too i.e. nivrutti mArga.  If time permits kindly share your
thoughts on these two points.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar