[Advaita-l] REQUEST FOR GUIDANCE

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 08:55:17 CDT 2009

Dear Maheshji,

Can I put in a slightly different way? In the law of Karma if one is to be held responsible for one's Karma then one has to have the free will. That is why at the end of the discourse of the Bhagavad Gita Lord Krishna asked Arjuna as to what he (Arjuna) wanted to do. It is another matter how one is judged for one's action.

Now coming to the  issue of A and B, in one case if A could have had the option to kill B or not then he could have exercised his free will. In the second case it could be that A had to kill B in self-defence as otherwise B could have killed A. So no free will is involved unless death or no death is all the same to A. In the third case A could have killed B unintentionally by accident. In another case A could have been compelled to kill B against his own will due to force from a third party but A may yet be responsible for his involvement with the third party. There could be a number of reasons and ways for  A's killing of B and the Karma will be different in each case. One thing is certain that once the action is over then irrespective of whether it is free will or not the action of A got added to his past Karma.

Coming to B what happened to him is ascribed to his destiny or fate or the result of his past Karma. It is not possible for one to analyse this Karma and Karmaphal. As Lord Krishna tells us one has the right to do his karma but not to the Phat (ie. to the result of the Karma)  Hindus believe in divine dispensation of justice.

All this is at the Vyavaharic level. However when one realises that all actions are done due to one's association with Prakriti then one can dissociate oneself from the effects of actions and there will be no further accumulation of Karmaphal as one will shed the desire for Karmaphal. Then one realises that everything is done by the Mother but not before that. At that stage  one abandons the doership and so also the idea of free will. Thus it appears to me that there is no real conflict between what Shri Chandrasekhara Bharati Mahaswami said and what Ramakrishna Paramamhansa said.

Sincerely

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya