[Advaita-l] Sandhyopasana - Savita

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 02:59:05 CDT 2009

Sri Bhadraiah,

Pranam.

On the etymology of prateeka, I wonder if prati also does not mean "towards" or "approaching", and that therefore, pratimaa is something which approaches the original. The suffix 'ka' is frequently used to denote something small or insignificant as in baala - baalaka, prapancham - prapanchakam; to that extent, prateeka is an insignificant depiction of the original. Deergha is often due to the rules of combining words to form a compound, and might not have any significance in this case.

Normally one should not engage in such amateur etymology, but let me, this once.

Regards
Senani