[Advaita-l] Sandhyopasana - Savita

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 02:51:33 CDT 2009

2009/3/17 Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com>:
<<In Uttara Gita Lord Krishna says "Pratimā alpabuddhinām sarvatra
samadarshinām". I think an advaitin may worship a deity in a pratima
but sooner or later he realises that Brahman is everything including
him and is everywhere and need not be imagined through a pratima.
Nirakara can mean that there is no definable fixed akara and it need
not necessarily mean  non-existence.>>

You have totally misunderstood my point. I was only trying to point
out that the advaitic brahman per se is not an upAsya. As long as one
performs any kind of upAsanA, one conceives of an upAsya distinct from
oneself. This is fine and not incompatible with advaita vedAnta, as
has been discussed on this forum many times earlier.

However, one cannot then privilege nirAkAra upAsanA over sakAra
upAsanA and then claim that one is "concentrating on brahman". There
is no such thing as concentrating on brahman, all concentration is
only on an upAsya, which may be sakAra or nirAkAra.