[Advaita-l] Sandhyopasana - Savita

Sundaresan, Vidyasankar (GE Infra, Water) vidyasankar.sundaresan at ge.com
Mon Mar 16 10:57:48 CDT 2009

>When I do Sandhyavandana, should I necessarily consider
>that the Aditya in my front (Stula Aditya in the Akasha) as
>the prateeka for the Savita, (Savita = Brahman as I
>understand), or do I have the option to close my eyes and
>consider directly Savita - directly as per the meaning of the
>mantra, in which case my focus is not necessarily on the Stula
>Aditya in my front up in the sky......!

There are many more qualified people than me who can give answers
to this question, but for what it is worth, what I have learnt is this:

The pratIka is an aid to concentrating the mind. If one has developed
the ability to concentrate on brahman without the use of an external
symbol, then one does not have to rely on it. The sthUla Aditya in the
sky is, in a very natural sense, the savitA of all that is on our earth,
is
it not? Ultimately, each person is his own judge of the quality of his
focus.

Regards,
Vidyasankar