[Advaita-l] jeevanamuktha vis-a-vis avadhoota

anupam srivatsav anupam.srivatsav at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 01:16:03 CDT 2009

Dear friends,

In Sanskrit, Jivanmukti means = a liberated soul, who still lives.

Jiva is a bound soul.  MuktaH is a liberated soul.  Jivanmukti means,
jivann api muktaH.  jiv dhatu (to live) + shatru pratyaya (to indicate
present continuous) = jivan.

mukti = much dhatu + ktin ptratyaya.

jivan-muktaH = saamanadhikaram, which denotes the same person.  Though
one lives, he is liberated.

Living is a bondage and liberating is without any bondage.  How both
can co-exist?  I wonder.

With regards,
SS