[Advaita-l] Svarita in RV and YV (was Re: SRI SUKTAM - Meaning)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Mar 5 11:31:30 CST 2009

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Andreas Leitz wrote:

> thank you very much for your answer. On the possible difference between
> musical tones and vedic recitation tones I didnŽt take care till now.
> Does this means we couldnŽt lay down texts like the Chandogya upanishad,
> the only upanishad I have studied till now, to music and vedic
> recitation? If so is there any text,who deals with the way how a vedic
> texts has to be chanted? What is the correct way to chant vedic texts
> after the view of learned men? What is about the metric of the texts? Is
> the metric dealt in early sanskrit texts different from the metric of
> the vedic texts. What says the learned men on this subject?

To answer your questions, the Vedas feature a stress-based accent system
that barely remains in classical sanskrit.  Some of the Vedic metres
survive in classical sanskrit but mainly newer ones are in use.  While
there are some books on the correct method of recitation of Vedic texts,
they are solely an aid to memory.  Accurate memorization from a guru who
has learned and memorized in the same way is the only legitimate method of
learning recitation.

However:

You should not bother chanting the Vedic texts anyway as you are not a
Brahmana. The goal of Advaita Vedanta is to know the Self (atma).
Knowledge of the Self (jnana) is not a thing that can be acquired by any
method.  It is already present in all sentient beings but is hidden by
ignorance and delusion.  The discipline of Dharma is a negative method. It
destroys the obstacles that prevent jnana from shining forth.  It is the
Dharma of Brahmanas to learn and protect the Vedas and many of us here
belong to that caste so we do discuss such topics from time to time but
for other Hindus and for foreigners it is not desirable or even necessary
to copy us. As I said before, all sentient beings are capable of jnana so
there is some method for anyone.  But it is not the same method for
everyone.