[Advaita-l] Svarita in RV and YV (was Re: SRI SUKTAM - Meaning)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Mar 1 21:57:53 CST 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Andreas Leitz wrote:

> Dear Sir, the question you picked up and the discussion is very
> interesting. How has the svarita to sound?

(btw for some reason this message was considered by the listserver as
spam.  I had to manually approve hence the delay.  Sorry.)

The tones under discussion are specific to Vedic recitation and
unconnected to any of the Hindustani or Karnataka musical traditions of
today.  (Though they themselves consider their origin to be Vedic and some
scholars have tried to trace the ancestry with meagre results IMO.)