[Advaita-l] Request for clarification

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Jun 8 23:18:08 CDT 2009

On Mon, 25 May 2009, Jayaram Subramanian wrote:

> 1) A jar is essentially clay; but after the clay is fashioned
> in a particular way, it is called jar. Similarly, the universe in
> non-dual/Brahman, though the name and form create diversity.

The purpose of this illustration is to show how nothing is really ever
created or destroyed only transformed from one state with a designated
name and form to another.

> 2) A jar occupies space and when it breaks, the inner space
> merges with the outer space. Similarly, as life ends, soul joins
> Brahman.

What is called 'jar' is really just an arbitrary boundary around space.
In the case of the human body it is the ahamkara which arbitrarily makes a
boundary between 'I' and 'you' like the clay of the jar.  Death is one way
the ahamakara ceases but so too is jivanmukti.