[Advaita-l] Gayatri?

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 13:49:46 CDT 2009

Geeta, namaste,

The Gayatri is acually the name of a verse metre (24 syllables, 3 lines of 8
feet) first recorded in the well-known hymn to the Sun as Savitri in the
RgVeda.

There are 20 other 'Gayatri' hymns, including the ones you mention, probably
inspired by that one, as they are all prefixed by Om and all include the
words vidhmahe, dhimahi and pracodayat at the end of the lines.
You can find them on
gayathrimanthra.com

Michael