[Advaita-l] Query on Ishvara in the Yoga darshana

Naresh Cuntoor nareshpc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 22:02:04 CST 2009

> Your Sanskrit quote says: sa pUrveShAmapi
> guruH. And when you translated it as
> 'Ishvara is also said to be the Guru of the ancients'
> you had overlooked 'api'. IMO 'api' there is important.......
> If left out, the translation would seem to convey,
> though not explicitly, that Ishvara is also said to be the Guru of the
> ancients, but not anymore.
> The author of the quote was talking of the 'continuity'
> of the His being Guru, may be to convey that this was not
> an subsequently added concept.

To quote the complete sutra in question: sa pUrveShAmapi guruH kAlena
anavachChedAt.
With this characteristic, Ishvara is said to be the guru at the
beginning of creation. The api denotes that he is not just the guru
now, but was also at the beginning. This is so because time is
unbroken to him (kAlena anavachChedAt).

Whether there is an api or not, it makes little difference to the
contention of some that the sutras referring to Ishvara are not
PAtanjala.

On an tangential note, your comment about "api" reminds me of a paper
that I saw cited somewhere. It was a paper on the several usages of
api.  I have been meaning to look for this paper for sometime now. But
searching for just "api" without knowing the title of the paper is
challenging. Unsurprisingly, searches for api leads to Application
programming interface!
If anyone knows about the api paper, please send it or its reference to me.

> Also, sir, Buddhi is not, stricktly speaking, intellect.
> The English word as defined by them, is a part
> of manas which is different from Buddhi of calssical Indian Texts. Bhddhi is
> a well defined concept, described to be a part of the eight fold
> manifestation of the prakrti)
> There is no equivalent word in English for Buddhi.
> If we use the word 'intellect', then we will not be
> able to mean what they meant by using Buddhi.

Point taken. Translation does pose limitations. I was using the
commonly used translation of buddhi as intellect.

-Naresh