[Advaita-l] mithya and maya

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 10:29:37 CST 2009

With an eye on the other thread also, of the meaning of illusion -- but alas
only from an English-language reference : I recall from proofreading for the
Encyclopaedia of Hinduism (publication now suspended) that the article
'Ignorance' quoted in translation (no Sanskrit reference) 'Ten Levels of
Ignorance' which went down from maya through illusion, avidya and 'innocent
ignorance' to 'deliberate ignorance' in the sense of ignoring the truth
(English confuses these two states).

But it comes to mind usefully as a reminder that all that is not sat is
asat... however it comes about.
 So for instance, every new 'Theory of Atomic Structure' must have its
category of 'well-intentioned conception based on available  evidence'
within asat... a form of mithya ?

I wonder if anyone knows the Sanskrit origin of the 'Ten Levels of
Ignorance' enumeration ?

Michael