[Advaita-l] Svarita in RV and YV (was Re: SRI SUKTAM - Meaning)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 22:53:06 CST 2009

Dr. Bharadwajji,

Namaste,

Having selected a guru one has to learn the way the guru teaches. However one should not feel that the guru may be annoyed if clarifications are sought even in a polite and humble manner. Once the guru had accepted the disciple it is the duty of the guru also to clear the difficulties of the disciple like Lord Krishna cleared the doubts of Arjuna.

Secondly there are prescribed ways for selecting the right guru and one should follow these norms. One should not select a guru in desperation if one does not get a guru in time or in a nearby place. It is generally believed that right guru comes when the would-be disciple is ready. The would-be disciple may have to go far out to seek a guru and the great Adi Sankaracharya himself did like that.

Further one should be aware that it is also permissible to have more than one guru as and when necessary.  If one has learnt what he wanted from a guru then one can go to other guru for the sake of further learning, if he wants to.  Ramakrishna Paramhansa took lessons from Bhairavi as well as from other gurus at different times. That may also be one of the  reasons why it is said that the advaita principle applies everywhere except in case of guru.

Regards,

SunilK. Bhattacharjya