[Advaita-l] Dreams and Reality

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 03:52:36 CST 2009

Dear Pranipata ji,

Thank you for that response.

I don't wish to waste anyone's time on this site. But the question was not
originally mine.. so I feel more entitled to pursue it !

I guess there is a basic question here. Advaita Vedanta at its most
'ascetic' tells us that anything that does not last -- pain, bereavement, a
good meal, all visheshaa, the body itself... all these are illusion; none of
these are real; only Brahman is real..

But some would say, all this glorious chitshakti lila, the play of divine
consciousness, may be explored as yet another sight of Brahman..

And 'waking, dreaming, sleeping' are constantly referred to in the shruti
and smrti -- yet dreaming, amongst these wonders, is given little attention.
Yes, it's all 'imagination'.. then what is the Lord's intention in giving us
this vivid 'imagination' -- which takes place in waking state as well as
dreaming state...?

Ascetic Advaita Vedanta may say 'That's not a question for you to ask, in
your state of avidya.. your knowledge is only partial...'

But any question that may lead to liberation is valid ?

If 'dreaming' remains a mystery to one who asks this question -- this
mystery may be maya : but maya may be brought under observation.

I repeat : this was not a question originally put by me; but I think, in
this scientific age, within the belief in Advaita Vedanta, we may consider
it ?

With warm wishes,
Michael