[Advaita-l] Dreams and Reality

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 04:41:44 CST 2009

Greetings to all

I find these answers very interesting and illuminating about this little
discussed subject -- questions are often more interesting than answers !
It suggests that dreams confront us, in that mysterious state, with
untruth -- as if we construct cheap novels of our life, which are recognised
to be untrue on waking -- as indeed, as one gets older, one's life seems
more and more a dream which only slightly approximates to reality !

But I suspect that there is more profound truth about the dreaming state --
at all levels of being.

Curiously, the first 60-120 minutes of sleep erase all thought of the
previous day's events and thoughts. Yet dreams come as sleep moves towards
the waking state. That suggests that dreams are more about being present and
confronting the imagined 'future', than the past...

More from the learned on this, please !

Michael