[Advaita-l] SRI SUKTAM - Meaning

Dr D Bharadwaj drdbharadwaj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 20:38:26 CST 2009

 Sunilji,

Namaste

I have been following the discussions among you learned ones here. Even as
it was getting intense I too felt that the paddhati one had learnt from
one's Guru was the one to be considered right by each, not the source book.

Here, I would like to remind you that the books had never been
there at all, at least as far as the Vedas are concerned..it has always been
the Guru that was the right carrier of the tradition.

Of course the Lord had asked the best of the disciples to do as he
liked...but only at the end, *after  *He had finished telling whatever he
wanted to. In between too the disciple *was* allowed to question. *But the
pramana was not any text but only what the yogacharya himself had
uttered.*He did not say or even suggested to the disciple to refer to
the
source texts.

The Guru had always been questioned with all due humility, as you had said.
But even in your examples they did not go to the source texts...they had
gone to or were directed to other scholars or to meditation, as in the case
of Goutama.

Shri Ramanuja and Shri Madhva questioned their teachers. True. Shri
Shankara, the one way above all of them, did not question the teacher. But
it is not true that Shri Sankara was not questioned. He did allow people to
challenge him. He *was *questioned, and was questioned by many, even
by highly learned pandits. They all studied the same texts...interpreted the
same texts... debated and discussed among them. It was Shri Shankara that
won and carried the day. That was because of Shri Shankara's mastery over
the text.

In India the source text, even the one that existed as a book, was never
held above the Guru. Guru's word is final. Only the Guru can put an
effective conclusion to the various debates and interpretations that a plain
text can throw up.

Also many nuances and finer aspects often were held back from the text by a
shrewd shastrkara and were dedicated to the traditional parampara channels,
to minimize the possibility of the valuable knowledge going into the wrong
hands. Even Panini resorted to this.

It is because of this consciously introduced lacunae that these texts are
open to disparate, heterogeneous interpretations.
The key is only with the one that is a part of a live traditional
parampara....and is therefore guhya.

 The word and the deed (achara) of the sistha is final in the case of
differences in the way the text gets perceived by many.

The freedom to do as one likes is granted *after* one listens to all that
the Guru has to say with Shraddha, as Arjuna did.

If Guru can be questioned and put down vis a vis a text...we are not too far
from questioning the source text itself. After all the text could have been
written by yet another questionable person.

*Until one gets personally enlightened as in the case of some of your
examples, the word and the instruction of the Guru is final.*

Regards,
Dr. D. Bharadwaj
drdbharadwaj at gmail.com

Dr. D. Bharadwaj