[Advaita-l] Atman -- soul or witness or both ?

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 07:33:39 CDT 2009

The mahavakya all remind us of the shared identity of atman and Brahman.

But how do we personally enter the truth of this ?

Some teachers and gurus emphasise the practicality of atman as eternal
witness, whom we can invite to witness every thought, every word, every
action; as a means to unite with Brahman in the simplest possible manner.

But I note that 'atman as witness' doesn't seem to figure much in classical
texts. Or am I wrong ? Is this more implied than stated outright ?

I'd appreciate comment.

Michael