[Advaita-l] Information on Vishnu Sahasranamam

narayan iyer z1e1b1r1a at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 01:47:55 CDT 2009

Namaste,

I would like any of the learned members to clarify the following:

Before reciting Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam, we begin:

" Sri Veda VyasO Bhagavan Rishi, Anushtub chanda: Sri Mahavishnu Paramaathmaa Sriman NaarayaNo devata…."

I understand the chandas metre to be of 32 letters.  Which sloka has 32 letters in VS?  Is it dhyana sloka or any other sloka/mantra in VS?
There are many slokas of different letter-counts.  Do they also belong to Anushtub chandas?

I learnt on the net that anushtub chandas (32 letters) is used for narration and thrishtub (44 letters) is used for praise/to express the song of devotion etc.  Is the information correct?

Are all sahasranamams composed in Anushtub chandas?

Thanks in advance for any information

With regards,

narayan