[Advaita-l] yagnOpaveeta & women

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Aug 14 03:55:07 CDT 2009

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I was reading a Kannada book ' saMskAragaLu mattu mAnaveeya moulyagaLu'
written by Sri Srikanta Kumara Swamy.  In this book, it is said that women
is entitled to undergo 'upanayanaM' and can do saNdhya vandanaM regularly.
 Author, justifies his claim by quoting some incidents in rAmAyaNa  &
other texts.  Besides this, author also makes some interesting
observations on rAkshOghna hOma (a sort of ritual which we observe before
house warming), kooshmAnda bali (here in South India, we cut pumpkin into
pieces apply some kumkum & turmeric powder to  symbolize the animal
sacrifice to dikpAlaka-s, kshetrapAla & vAstu purusha etc. in house
warming ceremony).  He says these rituals are meaningless & donot have any
base in dharma shAstra.

I'd like to get more insights into this issue i.e. threading ceremony to
women & saNdhyA vandana  by women from the prabhuji-s.

Kindly ignore if it is out of the scope of advaita.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar