[Advaita-l] Patanjali Yoga Sutra. I.3

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 27 20:18:27 CDT 2009

Dear  Bhadraiahji,

It is true that there is no surviving oral tradition of Patanjali yogasutra (YS) but there were some yoga traditions / teachings before Patanjali.  Patanjali did not claim originality of his work.

Lord Buddha lived before Patanjali. We find some details in the Buddhacarita about Lord Buddha's learning of Sankhya and Yoga under two different gurus. But Lord Buddha was not saitisfied because though in the Yogic state the individuality does not manifest it does reappear once the yogic state (trance) is over. It is another story how he could find the answer to that dilemma ie. how he removed the disconnect between the individual ego state and the ultimate Shunyata state.

Before Lord Buddha we know that Lord Krishna told Arjuna about Sankhya and Yoga in the Bhagavad Gita (BG) and that was followed by the teachings in the Uttara Gita (UG). In the later stage in the Bhagavad gita Lord Krishna too removes the disconnect between the individual state and the ultimate state.

Lord Krishna mentions that he revealed Yoga to Vivasvan  and that was in the Satya Yuga.
It was probably around that time Dattatreya taught Yoga Shastra and we have these details in purana as well as in the Dattatreya Yoga Shastra (DYS), which are extant till today. At the end of DYS it is mentioned that Lord Vishnu in his Avatara as Dattatreya was the first to teach Yoga. It could also be that Dattatreya taught yoga to Vivasvan. We know that the advaitic text Avadhuta Gita is attributed to the same Dattatreya

Whatever the chronological facts may be we are blessed that the DYS, BG, UG and the Puranas are extant till today. It may be that for whatever doubt one may have on the interpretation of  YS if one may wish to do further reseach on that then there are the extant earlier sources on Yoga to facilitate that kind of enquiry.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya