[Advaita-l] Pancikarana vs. Trivrtkarana (analysis)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 17:53:43 CDT 2009

Dear Bhadraiahji,

You comment was :

If we can not relate something that is not knowledge at all. This is after considering randomness, fuzziness, uncertainty and other acknowledged systemic issues.

Unquote

I said it is difficult to relate but did not say say that it is not possible. It is possible to relate at the higher level.

You said :

There is no need to subordinate trivrtkarana to panchikarana or subordinate anything to anything else unless Shruti specifically says so for a given context. As Sankara states in bhashya of Ch.U.VI, the trivrtkarana process which explains how creation is done by three fold splitting also explains the process of how a person dies and as a corollary it explains how a person acquires knowledge (and serves to answer the original question of Svetaketu how unknown becomes known). Sankara would not say so clearly if it was not so.

Unquote

It is not subordination. It is truth at different levels. Do you think that what Lord Krishna did was possible for you and me to do though the Upanishad says that all are Brahman.

You said:

Br.U.I.v.3-8 differentiates different branches of veda based on components of knowledge. Each veda operates differently, but this is from upanishat portion if that matters.

Unquote

I was talking of the references to the Vedic concepts being differentiated in terms of separate Vedas. .

I may be wrong but I think that Trvrtkarana is associated with the knowledge of the first three koshas and the Pancikarana is associated with the knowledge of all the five koshas. The Brahmajnani, who transcends all the five koshas, can really see the interplay of all the fine elements  and he alone can be said to have full knowledge of the Pancikarana.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya