[Advaita-l] Pratyavaaya paapam

Ramanathan P p_ramanathan at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 11:22:32 CDT 2008

Thank you once again for this detailed and candid reply. I agree.

Some thoughts: I think that we must always keep the standard strict and orthodox as the acharyas direct. Otherwise we will have new jatis within the Brahmana varna, say "true Brahmanas", "modern Brahmana" (not Brahmana life but yes for nityakarmas within four walls of home), "modern Brahmin" (only in name or sacred-thread unseen under shirt), etc. They are already there but only implicitly as yet. So long as our ideal is exactly as it was prescribed, and we don't justify our non-conforming to the ideal, at least internally we remain true, committed and striving for the ideal. This is important; when the time comes we (all prescribing to the traditional ways) will break out of our shells and with mutual support can reconstruct the ideal into practical life.

What you said about saree, etc is true. We (all sanatana dharmis) should strive consciously to represent our native culture; every bit we do in public is hard-religion. This is where we need to make new ground.

To Sri K. Ramakrishna:

" It is NOT Ishvara's wish that the person selectively chosen for the Order
abides by that, following the rules to the letter; it is the other way
around. It is by following the prescribed dharma, that Ihswara selects him
for His grace. It may not even be necessary to follow the dharma to the
letter always, if it is offered as a service to the Lord, for He says"

I agree; as I said, I use the word "wish" based on the fact that He responds with grace to our following the svadharma, some may say "Isvara's injunction". I don't know the way the Lord works. That is why we have the sampradaya and acharyas to properly interpret and guide. However we should be careful not to start feeling 'ok' about not following the prescribed duties; that crystallizes the dilution: it may be ok but perhaps not if we start thinking so! (Again His grace for our happiness in laxity may only mean we don't get the difficult job next time around ... or perhaps it is His "will" that the varnas are broken up like in above-mentioned jatis, to help in the survival in the kali yuga -- many of us are Brahmana-friends who help the mathas with money more than anything else).

Ramanathan