[Advaita-l] Meditation Vs. Nityakarma

narayan iyer z1e1b1r1a at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 00:29:51 CDT 2008

Namaskar,

If we knock down the original query to nuts and bolts situation, the two points to be considered are:

1. Whether nityakarmas can be given up by Gruhustas;
2. Whether brahman can be realised without sanyaasa.

The answer to both the questions seems to have been given in affirmative by the previous Sankaraacharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham.

Please refer to http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part19/chap9.htm

The actual quotation in respect of (1) being:
"In the second type we are cleansed inwardly and the burden of our karma is made lighter and ultimately we are taken to the point beyond which it is not necessary to perform any rites"

The actual quotation in respect of (2) being:
"Even if a man does not take to sanyasa after performing sacrifices as a householder, he goes to the meritorious world. With the grace of Isvara he becomes one with that very Isvara. And, when Isvara himself is absorbed in the Brahman as the Paramatman, he too becomes one worth him"

The members are requested to correct my misunderstandings, if any.

With regards,

narayan