[Advaita-l] Pratyavaaya paapam

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 20:35:43 CDT 2008

Yadu ji - PraNams

Your points are well taken. The discussion came only when some gruhasta wanted to know if he will be committing sin if he does not do the daily rituals. My understanding based on Shankara's commentary is no.

What Shree Jaldhar says is right with reference to sanyaasi's. The point of disagreement is only with reference to Gruhastas.

My understanding, and after taking to Shree Sastriji also, that it is Shankara's position that one does incur sin for not performing but by performing one reduces one's sins- like any other obligatory actions. I have given reference. Shree Sastriji says it is said in Taittiriya bhaasya also again with reference jnaana karma samucchaya vaada khanDana.

Anyway the discussion came because someone has asked. This is nothing do the sanyaasins' code of conduct. Remember the sloka - jaTilo munDii....

We are not evaluating the sanyaasa ashram. Every ashrama will have its own problems and one has to watch out - kshurasya dhaara.. durgam patanaat.

For those who do not agree with my understanding, that is fine. I have no problem. I stick to my understanding, until I hear from my teacher that the position is not correct.  I will discuss this with Pramarthanandaji also to insure I am not worng.

I should have stopped the discussion earlier, but now I will.

Hari Om!
Sadananda