[Advaita-l] Meditation Vs nitya karma

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 03:49:25 CDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:37 AM, kuntimaddi sadananda
<kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Shree Narayan Iyer,
>
> I move from karma yoga to jnaana yoga when my mind has achieved certain degree of study ness. Some time back I posted on the attitude of karma yogi vs. jnaana yogi. One may be able to down load it from archives.
>
> In essence Karma yogi says I have to realize - realization is something to achieve. Some have a sense that it will not happen in this life.
>
> Jnaana yogi is the one who realizes that there is nothing to realize but something to understand. He is already that but not able to abide in that knowledge because of emotional attachments - for  him after sravana, manana - Nidhidhyaasana is recommended for firmly abiding in the knowledge that I am that.

I don't want to get into any argumentation with regards to karma -
this topic keeps repeating itself also - but I would like to note that
Sankara also points after the discussion on futility of  j~naana karma
samuccaya, he specifically refers to taking up parivrajaka sannyaasa.
We can't sit in nice houses, drive nice cars and say we can disregard
karma. No doubt j~naana can be obtained right here and also witout
taking up sannyaasa as evidenced by examples such as Janaka and
DharmavyAdha. But they also continued performing their karmas in the
enlightened state. If they could go about doing normal things such as
living in a palace or whatever without being subject to the rigor of
actual sannyasa by not having a sense of doership, they could as well
perform karma without an actual sense of doership.

Rama