[Advaita-l] The Evolution of Advaita from Sankara till Date

Praveen bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat May 17 01:11:46 CDT 2008

praNAm all,

I've offer my comments on this thread which seems to have digressed on
multiple fronts, which usually happens when each of us extend the thread
a bit. :)

Having read a lot:
I confess, I've not even read a percentage of what people have read here.
Every time I open a Shankara book, after a while, I've to judge my sAdhana
cAtushTaya and step back owing to lack of completely shuddha chitta and
instead look into domains of following dharma, saguNOpAsana or read
secondary works of others in the saMpradAya. I myself subscribe to the
extreme view that Vedanta has to be learned only post-saMnyAsa (be it
mental, as some may respond) to result in moksha.

Social service:
Any social service is a part of purifying the chitta. When a jnAni does that,
its to guide others into doing it. That, in itself, has nothing to qualify one
has an advaitin or not. IMHO, an advaitin is anyone who subscribes to
follow till the ekameva advitiya end of moksha.

Women learning Vedas:
This is a topic that pops up once in a while in one form or other and it
always graduates to a separate thread; a simple search will show
multiple occasions when this has been discussed. I recall Jaldhar-ji
mentioning at least once, and I agree, that saMpradAyA is a
self-correcting mechanism in that anything gone wrong, or any change,
automatically corrects itself over the years/ generations, "when
followed". So more than judging whether its correct or incorrect, I
would rather look up to what my lineage allows and follow that.

gurOrarpaNamastu,
--praveen
--Br.Up. 4.5.15 */