[Advaita-l] The Evolution of Advaita from Sankara till Date

Ananta Bhagwat ananta14 at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 15:31:54 CDT 2008

<Why only "unity of all human kind"? Why not all creatures, or even all

phenomena - living or non-living? As you said, it is the principle of
unity but not homogenization. I think this a crucial point for us to
understand the Hindu dharma in general, let alone advaita in
particular. Our earlier acharya-s were more than positive in this
regard.>

I agree with this and the subsequent paras. On the level of vyavahAra we differentiate people depending on their natural abilities, inclinations (and even birth and gender). My point is we should not interpret SAstra-s in such a way that these exclusions are treated as dogma. We should not exclude in collective plurals at least in learning and Knowledge acquisition. I believe SAstra-s can be interpreted correctly (for example BS 1.3.34-38 can be interpreted using jAbAla story and vajrasUcikA upanishad) so that Knowledge, in principle at least, is open to all classes and genders. This has already happened in todays India, we need to only regularize it.

However, I agree that advaita's basic unity is applicable to all sentient and insentient beings. Brahman is the substratum of ALL.

ananta
--
santoShaH paramo lAbhaH satsa~NgaH paramA gatiH I
vicAraH paramaM j~nAnaM shamo hi paramaM sukham II