[Advaita-l] The Evolution of Advaita from Sankara till Date

sivaramakrishnan muthuswamy muthushiv at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 00:57:15 CDT 2008

Dear brother Carlos,

First and foremost I so happy for you for earnestly trying for wisdom.  My sincere best wishes to my fellow brother in the quest of enlightenment.
I dont know why my words which are very general ticked you off so much.  However I still believe my words are true.  First, I never name called anybody here.  But I see a general trend now-a-days that every guru who comes to US are armed with a course.  Moreover I never said they were useless.  But when you sell it for 2500 dollars, then I have to take a back seat.  Every yoga technique has some pragmatic values and that's why they are there in the first place.  But at the end if they were not leading to the enlightenment then they are pretty much useless.

While neither Bagwan Buddha nor Adi Shankaracharya ever had courses while majority of the modern gurus has it.  Holy Scriptures allover the world says the importance of guru but finding a proper guru is a challenge - again acknowledged by holy scriptures.  Currently there are lots of spurious people in the garb of hinduism claims that they are gurus.  My concern relies essentially in that.  This I am saying after closely observing atleast three such groups.  Genuine teachers have no ulterior selfish motives.  They dont crave praise, honor or fame.  They are beyond lust and greed and totally unselfish.  They dont crave money. Infact they are so humble they get embarrassed if we call them guru.  If you consider your guru some what like my description, and if you feel that he can give you enlightenment then I welcome him the most.  But it is you who can decide truly.

A folklore story in India goes like this.... There are three kinds of gurus
1. Guru like Sandalwood::  This is the lowest form of guru.  A sandalwood tree can never make a snake to smell like it even if the snake coils around the tree through out its life
2. Guru like Deep (candle light)::  The gurus who come in this category can illumine other people but they are in dark.  Just like the candle light.  The light may illumine the room but unfortunately the base of the lamp will be dark
3.  Bhirang Guru (I may have spelled it wrong- forgive me):  Bhring is an insect in the Indian forests.  What it does is it grabs other insects to its nest and after few days the other insect will behave as if it was bhring.  And this is the ultimate guru.  If you think that your guru can do that to you then ... Awesome.

I am very clear about my journey because I challenge myself every day with every views.  The best of the view wins in the impartial argument I conduct to myself.  I am a science major. "Science is nothing but commonsense at its best, critical in observation and merciless to fallacy in logic".  If I am wrong I will be the first to correct myself.  I think my hands and my heart are clean as I am typing this mail. :)

Hari Om Tat Sat,

Siva