[Advaita-l] The Evolution of Advaita from Sankara till Date

Praveen bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu May 15 02:23:34 CDT 2008

praNAm all,

>> and the avadhUta mentality of ramana maharishi.
>>

> The avadhuta marga is hardly an innovation of Ramana.  In fact one can
> make the case that it is older than systematic Vedanta altogether.

To add to what Jaldhar-ji wrote...
I do not know to what "era" do the scholars date Sannyasa Upanishad, but
that itself categories samnyAsi-s into six types out of which one is avadhUta.

>> Can the wise of the list shed light as to why the philosophical trend
>> changes but still trying to keep advaita the aim? Another question also
>> arises that does the 'new/neo/pseudo' vedAnta really lead one to
>> chitta-Suddhi?
>>

> I don't think so.

IMHO, its more likely to give quite the opposite effect. Chitta shuddhi is the
basic qualification, as defined traditionally, to take one to mumukshutva and
thence to Vedanta. Any short cut poses a danger of wrong understanding
of "anything goes" as justified for a jnAni, which could result in arrogance
and falsely conceiving freedom to do things opposite to shuddha chitta. And that
is rather a pitfall in the traditional approach.

gurOrarpaNamastu,
--praveen
--Br.Up. 4.5.15 */