[Advaita-l] Regarding subject lines

Praveen bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed May 14 03:51:58 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:08 AM,  <srikanta at nie.ac.in> wrote:
> I understand the difficulty experienced by Praveenji and Ananth
> Upadhyayaji.Usually muy Emails are following a recent topic which is being
> discussed by a member of the group.I avoid giving detail references on the
> subject line because that may consume more space and time.If one carefully
> is following the topic one will not have any difficulty in following the
> threads.Any way,I shall keep myself to the rules.
> Regards,                                                   N.Srikanta.

praNAm Srikanta-ji,

I do like to read most of your scholarly replies but the context is
more or less lost to me
when I get to reading it. That leaves me (and surely many others) with
an impression that
you're talking of things unrelated to the discussion *only* because
the earlier mail to which
you're replying may be read later due to lost sequence!

Forgive me if I seem pedantic and sound foolishly arrogant, but I wish
to clarify again
what I meant by retaining subject lines. The email servers/ systems
tend to group mails
by "who's replied to what and when" and not merely on what the subject
line reads.
So if you *change* the subject line, OR *rewrite* the same subject
line, OR *compose*
a new mail, instead of hitting *reply* to the original mail, still the
email system will treat
your reply as a "new topic"! And that is precisely what throws the
thread off the sequence
since there are many "sets of mails" that deal with the same topic in
a haywire sequence.
It is seen even in this mail now, when the original thread is lost already.

Therefore, may I kindly and humbly request once more that it would
help us all a lot if you
use "reply" function of the mail client in all your mails instead of
writing fresh mails or
changing subject lines? Please do not consider this mail as anything
other than a request.
If it is troublesome for you to change the way you prefer to use the
mail client, all that may
happen is that I (and possibly others) may not get the full benefit of
learning the topics under
discussion.

Thanks once again,
--praveen