[Advaita-l] Discussion on pratitya-samutpada regarding

Ananta Bhagwat ananta14 at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 08:05:27 CDT 2008

Sri Srikanta

1/ I suggest, as a practice, you include the mail against which you are making a point.
2/ Tripitaka (Pali canon) is the earliest source of Buddha's direct teaching. In the second basket (Sutta Pitaka) this pratItyasamutpada formula is included (ref my earlier mails on this topic). In spite of your verbose explanation, I fail to understand how could this principle be formulated as an alternative to yogAcAra which came much later?
3/ If you say that gauDapAda influnced Buddhism rather than the other way round, I have personally no problem with this position if there is enough evidence. However, I prefer to hold on to a position based on his kArikA's that gauDapAda was quite knowledgeable about Buddhism and asserted upanishadic principle of Atman = brahman by using some of Buddhism's own arguments and referring some Buddhist texts.

ananta