[Advaita-l] Reciting veda ghana pATaM

srirudra at vsnl.com srirudra at vsnl.com
Fri Jun 13 07:00:32 CDT 2008

Dears
It is not correct to say that Ghana recitations have no useful purpose.The recitation heps in developing a strong
memory and concentration.There are very subtle variations and unless you are focussed you may slip and end up in
getting back to where you started.Vedas were never written and to commit to memory these were aids and proper
swaras will help in strengthening the vocal cords and once you have recited you will feel a sense of well being.In
Karnatic music also the niraval and raga swaras require constant practice so that the spirit of the music is
preserved.So to me ghana pata is part and parcel of Vedas and those who want to commit to memory the Vedas
should do ghana pata.Lastly Samskrit alphabets have 4 different Ka`s,Cha`s,ta`s,tha`s,pa`s,and ksha and sha and
sa and ssa-all to be differently pronounced to convey the correct meaning.Toremember them is not an easy
joke.R.Krishnamoorthy.