[Advaita-l] mental effort

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 04:49:02 CDT 2008

Vishyji, praNAm!
You are absolutely right that there is no point in carrying the boat over our heads after crossing the stream. The standard position of the Vedas is indeed the same: the Vedas are not required for a Brahmaj~nAni.
However, the river we are talking about is something exceptional and only those who have crossed it, if they so desire, ought to speak in terms of the boat not being needed. So much so that when a non-Brahmaj~nAni asserts the above, the learned laugh and the ignorant take it as blasphemy.
In fact even Brahmaj~nAnis do not invite attention to that aspect. For two reasons in my opinion. First, it is most foolish to belittle an instrument, if you expect that the same be used with belief, confidence and respect. And more so, in a country which performs aayudha-poojaa or instrument-worship and viSwakarma-poojaa, worship of the divine master craftsman / architect / sculptor etc. Second, the conduct of the SishTas, or extra-ordinary persons or leaders is the ideal that others try to follow. Thus we see that even those who are accepted as Brahmaj~nAnis by most people in the world had demonstrated the greatest amount of respect possible to the Vedas.
I appeal to you to show more respect to the Vedas.
Urging humility as I do, I hope I do not hurt by saying the above.
Regards
Senani