[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 48, Issue 13

Antharyami sathvatha at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 22:13:36 CDT 2008

Hari OM~
Shri Jaldhar ji,

In the Sutra Bhasya itself we come across statements where Acharya
says: "SutrakAro Badarayana acaryaH svamatam Aha" iti - 'The teacher
Badarayana, the author of Brahma Sutra pronounces his 'own' views'. Further
'Sarva Tantra Svatantra' Srimad Vacaspati Misra in his invocatory verse
remarks 'Brahma Sutra 'Krte' VyasAyAparavedhase' iti - hereby evident that
Brahma Sutras were 'written' by Badarayana Vyasa himself. Introducing other
views in between the aphorisms by the Sutrakara, does not favour the view
that the work is not 'written' but 'compiled' by the author.

[I reserve my opinion on the identity of Badarayana and Vyasa here]

With Narayana Smrti,
Devanathan.J