[Advaita-l] The Vedavyasa of each yuga-cycle

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Jul 19 01:10:26 CDT 2008

Today (actually yesterday for most readers I suppose) was Guru Purnima
when we celebrate the entire parampara from our own personal Guru back to
KR^iShNa dvaipAyana called VedavyAsa who in the Tretayuga divided that into
four, wrote the 18 Puranas and the Mahabharata and compiled the Brahmasutras
which are the foundation of Vedanta.

But as parAshara tells maitreya in the Vishnupurana (III.3.1-20) in each
yuga=cycle (there have been 28 so far in this manvantara out of 1000)
there is a different incumbent in the office of Vedavyasa who writes the
Puranasa, and the Mahabharata and the Brahmasutras.  They are:

1  brahma
2  prajApati
3  ushAnas
4  bR^ihaspati
5  savitR^i
6  mR^ityu (yama)
7  indra
8  vasisTha
9  sArasvata
10 tridhAman
11 trivR^iShan
12 bharadvAja
13 antarikSha
14 vapra
15 trayyAruNa
16 dhananjaya
17 kR^itAnjaya
18 riNa
19 bharadvAja (A different one than 12?)
20 gautama
21 uttama haryAtmA
22 vena rAjashravAs
23 somashushmapAna triNavindu
24 R^ikSha bhArgava (vAlmiki)
25 shakti
26 parAshara
27 jaratkAru
28 KR^iShNa dvaipAyana

In the next tretayuga, drauNi will hold that position.